Aaron's day was first, and as we finished eating, I brought out these little blocks I had quickly taped with 3x5 cards. Each person had their own block with their name and "I am a builder" underneath. On the back we all wrote reasons why the "person in the box" was a builder in our family.
After dinner on Aaron's night we sat in the living room by the fire, and went through his old mission and baby pictures.
What does a 7 year old want for dinner, given any possibility? Broiled fish of course. Holly has always had the taste buds of a 55 year old woman.
Victoria chose Klays--a family recipe consisting of potato dumplings that are Heavenly Ambrosia to people raised on it and......not so good for the rest of the human race. Joan and Earl (Aaron's parents) happened to be with us while we had this special dinner and were politely silent throughout the meal while the kids ooh and aahed over it and asked to have the leftovers in their lunches.....:)
Abby elected to have quesadillas and her activity was family trampoline time. We all laughed our heads off in the dark jumping together that night...
The kids LOVED "being in the box" and I think the blocks fostered some good conversation about what qualities build our family....
Caroline, I hope I can someday be as good of a mother as you are - you are A-MAZING!
ReplyDeleteI second that. Can I get lessons?
ReplyDelete