While Marianne was here, I had to take advantage of every moment we had together! I enlisted her in several home projects (now that I was back in SC and NOT pregnant, I had a few brain cells to spare for home design remodels). The most glaring issue was the kitchen backsplash. This backsplash is probably what saved me from someone else coming in to buy the house before I did. It was hideous. As you can see from the top picture, it was multi-colored. It looked as though we were in McDonalds and the "Hamburgler" had been there. I went to price out the glass tiles, and they are expensive!! To bad they were the wrong color. I decided to repaint the backsplash instead of rip it out. Cost--$15. I figured that if I didn't like it, I could always just rip it out anyway!
Turns out I LOVED it!
We painted the tile with special primer first (this was the worst part). Afterwards we painted the tiles with a color that was two shades darker than my wall color. Since I already had this color as a sample in my garage, it was way easy to begin! We actually had to take paintbrushes the size of the tiles and handpaint each tile so that the grout lines remained. I think it turned out looking like sea glass, with each tile being varied in color. DEFINITELY better than the Hamburgler tile I had.
This Dixie Stampede boot became the joke of the day--it was were the paint came from and we continually worried about accidently drinking out of it!
The other project we did was to repaint some antique chairs bright pink. I know--sounds a little crazy. It looks great though! I'm in the process of recovering the chairs with a cook creme/grey zebra fabric. The chair is just enough in the corner to add a little funk to the room.
Thank you marianne for being a great Home Deco solider! I love doing projects with you!
I still can't beleive those are painted tiles. They don't look that way... so, great job!!!
ReplyDeleteI noticed the pink chair immedately when walking into the room and I LOVE IT!!! It is such a nice touch and a great splash of accent color! Can't wait to see it recovered.
where are all the pictures with you doing this with me? I had such great memories doing that with you. The fact that we hand painted that entire thing while listening to hollys i pod that is all disney songs made it even better. Wish i was there to do more projects. Five more weeks!
ReplyDelete