News: Dan Brown's latest book--amazing.
Subject: Free Masons, Hidden Mysteries, Founding Fathers,Hidden Symbols, Prophesies
Genre: Fiction, although he asserts all historical info is accurate.
Thoughts:
1. What I LOVE about the book is the way it explores the age old truth that we, as humans, have a spark of the divine within us, and can become AS GODS. The term for this belief is called apotheosis, and apparently, it was a belief held by many founding fathers. This idea, of course, is laughed at by most Christian churches. I think it is one of the deepest, most profound doctrines we as an LDS faith believe.
In the past 50 years, I think Mormons in general have tried to "fit in" and become more mainstream, and perhaps the idea that we could become Gods was one that some felt had to stay in the back room for awhile. I think we need to be proud of it--bring it into the living room and display it as one of the most mind blowing doctrines we have--use it to fuel our faith and our convictions. Perhaps the Godmakers movie did it's damage simply by making us a little more hesitant to share this truth.
2. The Lost Symbol also explores "Noetic Science". This science supports the idea that our thoughts can bring about physical outcomes, and that our thoughts and even spirits have physical mass----these are all ideas that bring further illumination to our faith. I plan on studying more about these things when I get a free moment.....
Anyway....just thought I'd share! If I can steal a phrase from the back cover--this book is like "brain candy". A great read!

I have been meaning to read this book...just gotta finish Les Miserables (unabriged) first...almost there I think or should I say I hope :)!
ReplyDeleteI've read his other books, I'll have to try this one now!
ReplyDelete