Saturday, January 9, 2010

12.27.09... Baptism by Immersion.



My talented friend Charyce designed Holly's Baptism Invitations. She has a website of great LDS cards called "line upon line cards". See her site of Cards here.

Holly was baptized the Sunday after Christmas. I decided to have the lunch first, since our church is from 10-1pm . I mean--who really wants to sit in a baptismal service and be starving? It was nice to have the food done, and so we could focus on the main event.

Holly's Uncle Jerry drove down from Raleigh for the Baptism and helped set up for the luncheon. He moved a special "queen" chair over for Holly to sit in during lunch. Thanks Jerry!

The Luncheon: Aaron deep fried 2 turkeys on Saturday that I made up into sandwiches for all. We also had two different pasta salads, veggie trays, chips and homemade dip and Cake! Looking back, one of my favorite memories was making the pasta salads with my mom at midnight on Saturday:). My mom also put together some fabulous flower arrangements from 2 tired bunches of flowers we got late at Food Lion mixed in with cuttings from my yard. It was so nice to have the "power of Vicki" behind everything. Thanks Mom!

The Head table consisted entirely of female Brock cousins....
Marianne finally captured Dad's "Crusty Irish Sailor" face he uses to charm children (or scare them in some cases).
Thanks to the family who came from near and far! Teresa (middle) came from Arizona and Elizabeth from Utah! We had people from the Myrtle Beach Ward Come (Joe and Shawna and Brad and Tracy!) as well as Holly's old Primary teacher Jacqui Daum. My Parents and Marianne came of course as well as Uncle Ed and Aunt Marnell, Uncle Jerry and Aunt Jane, Uncle Ammon, and Aunt Donna. And, we can't forget all the wonderful Brock cousins...
I had the 2 Grandmothers give the talks--Joan on Baptism and Vicki (my mom) on the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost talk was cute because my mom had written it with Holly, so Holly came up on the stand to hold things and be a part of the talk, which Holly LOVES to do.
How utterly precious are a dad and daughter dressed in white--I mean really!
This dress was the same dress I wore when baptized by my father.
Marianne whisked Holly away while we were cleaning up from the luncheon. Unbeknownst to anyone, Marianne was taking shots on the font steps! Afterwards, Holly said to Marianne:
"I'M SO NERVOUS, I'M SO NERVOUS! I'M SO NERVOUS!!"
Despite her nerves, Holly sat peacefully by Aaron's side on the pew
(we wanted a shot of this, but pictures in the chapel are regrettably taboo).
It was a wonderful day celebrating her passage into membership of the Church of Jesus Christ.
Very Sweet--the Spirit was Strong
Lots of Ward Friends and Traveling Family
Lots of Food and Plenty of Cake!
Lots of Energy for me it did take!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! Marianne's surprise of taking a photo of Holly before her baptism without anyone knowing (and without taking away from the baptism itself) was WONDERFUL! What a great picture! My mom made a baptism dress, and each of my daughters has worn it when they have been baptized. As I see Holly wearing the dress you wore, I am anxious for our own family baptism dress to be shared with future grand-daughters as well!

    ReplyDelete