Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mystery Egg...


Victoria and Abby just spent 2 Weeks (yes, I said WEEKS) with their Brock Grandparents at White Lake.

One night during their stay, I got a phone call from Victoria. the conversation was as follows:

V: "I'm going to be a mommiee!!!!"
Me: What?
V: I found a turtle egg on the beach and I'm going to keep it and be a Mommiee!"
Me: Wow. Do you have it inside the house?
V: Yes, I bathed it in warm water and now it's sitting in something that feels like sand.
Me: Are you sure it's a turtle egg? I'm thinking it also could be a snake egg.
V: (after a pause) I'm going to LOVE it, no matter WHAT it is. I am going to be its MOTHER.

I got off the phone relieved I wasn't the one having to deal with an overly excited Victoria and a "mystery egg" she believed was her "child"

The next day:
Me: So, how's the Egg today Victoria? Did it hatch yet?
V: (pause) No. It looked a little "bent" this morning, and we realized that it had died.
Me: Did you open the egg? Do you know what was inside?
V: We think it was probably a snake egg. We didn't open it. We had a FUNERAL for it.
Me: That sounds interesting. Tell me about that (at this point I can barely keep a laugh from escaping as I speak)
V: Well, I sang a solo--I am a child of God, and Christiana (Victoria's 13 year old cousin who is a drama club's dream actress) gave a talk. We had the funeral on the beach and then "sent" the egg floating on the water.
Me: Wow, that sounds special. Did anyone else attend?
V: Haylee (the 17 yr old darling cousin) did. Abby said it was too hot and stayed inside.

Two diverging thoughts emerged from this: One--it is so like Abby to be shockingly practical in some ways, and not terribly tied into her sister's dramas and second, how I would have loved a video of this funeral! It warms the heart to see the innocence of youth in action.

1 comment:

  1. she is so cute. I love how sweet her heart it. I also love that picture of her. She is so beautiful and she is looking so much older! Make it stop!

    ReplyDelete