Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cronches?

Marianne came to visit us in Myrtle Beach last week! There aren’t words to describe how much we love having her! On Wednesday, after Mari and I lounged in bed together talking and listening to podcasts for her homework assignment, we packed a surprise picnic lunch, picked up Abigail and Meredith from preschool and headed to the beach!

IMG_6093

It is interesting to me how each child finds their own little “niche” at the beach. For Victoria, it’s the water, and catching crabs. For Holly it’s sand castles. For Meredith it’s birds, and for Abigail--it’s Cronches.

IMG_6115

You may be wondering what a Cronch really is…..this is Abigail’s word for CONCH Shells. Abby is a die-hard shell collector. I’ve never seen a child who can collect shells so tirelessly! She literally spends hours at it and is surprisingly good a “finding” things. One of my nicknames for her is “finder” because she truly has a bizarre talent for finding…be it candy, shells, bones, feathers—you name it.

mari trip4

I am always surprised by how cool beach combing can be. There are so many analogies to be made from beach combing—I find my mind working through a few of them as I work my way down the beach. I will have write a separate post on this in the future…..

mari trip2

Notice Mari and I are all in black—can you tell us apart??

IMG_6113

Marianne in search for the elusive “shark tooth”. Maybe next time she’ll find one!

IMG_6147

I love this picture with the Abby and the seagull—they really have the same personalities—whirling, twirling, diving in the water, begging for food from strangers—you get the idea.

IMG_6117

Meredith and her enormous bag of shells. By the end of our walk she was dragging the bag through the sand.

IMG_6100

So—Marianne, Meredith, Abigail and I spent the afternoon looking for Cronches and other various shells, eating PB&J sandwiches and pita chips and laying in the sun enjoying the fabulous weather. At one point, while Mari was laying on the blanket, and I was leaning against her watching the kids cavorting with the birds I thought “Ahhh…..this is bliss”. It is important to create those moments when we can…..

We left with two enormous bags of shells and two incredibly happy children.

4 comments:

  1. I relish the day when my sister can come down alone and spend some time with me like that. I am glad you captured this day on film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that day really was magical. the trip went by in a blink of an eye. well... not the day i went home but the rest of it flew by. Thanks again for all of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your relationship with Mari reminds me so much of mine and my sisters....I spent many single years coming and spending weeks, weekends, and holidays with her and her family. I am so thankful for the many many days of magic we had. They bring me comfort but, Oh how I miss her and long for those days. Sisters are the best!!! Love you Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun to catch up on your adorable family. Love the pics on the beach (wow!) and tooth fairy art and party decor. Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete