Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Smiling Irish

mari trip7

Victoria had her 10th birthday party this weekend. She has been wanting to go to an Irish Dance show in town, especially since she was on an Irish Dancing team last year. She invited 4 friends and had them dress fancy. Luckily her Aunt was here for the party as well! We took pictures on the golf course beforehand.

IMG_6331

mari trip6

I couldn’t resist putting together the next collage of some funny pictures from the photoshoot. When Mari and I looked at them on the computer we were crying with laughter. Most of these shots came as we had them do “Mandi’s jumping picture”. This is where you jump up into the air as high as you can. The results are below.

march 2009

IMG_6445

When we arrived at the theater, there were some old cars next to us in the parking lot (it was old car show weekend in myrtle beach). We couldn’t resist the photo op!

mari trip8

The show actually wasn’t all Irish Dancing like I had expected. They had two men who sang a bunch of Irish songs and told HORRIBLE jokes. These jokes, which had Marianne and I wanting to bolt for the exits were some of highlights for Victoria and her friends!!! It looks like the Irish Tenors had found their audience.

*************DON’T STOP READING… THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD!!

We sat in the front row and second row, right in the center. The ultimate highlight of the show (and of the party) was when they called Victoria and a friend up on stage. One of my blogging regrets is that I don’t have pictures of this awesome experience. We were forbidden cameras and I didn’t think to break the rules until afterwards! Anyway, they brought up Victoria and Mariah and asked them a few questions…

Irish Guy: So, where are you from?

Mariah: THE COUNTRY.

Irish Guy: (amidst laughter from the crowd). I am from the Country as well—the country of Ireland. So have you ever done any Irish Dancing?

Mariah: NO.

Irish Guy: Well you are about to dance with the Irish dance team.

Irish Guy: (to Victoria) Have you ever Irished Danced before?

Victoria: (with arms crossed and a smug smile spread across her face) YES.

This was met with cheers and some laughter. Marianne and I were at our seats white knuckling it because Victoria had taken off the strap of her shoe during intermission and I was imaging the shoe flying across the room as she started dancing. We motioned to her and she quickly bent over and jammed the buckle into place.

Mariah was first for the dancing. The dancer standing with her danced for a bit, then Mariah danced with along with her (and looked somewhat silly because she had no idea what she was doing). During this, Victoria continued to stand smiling and with her arms crossed. On her turn the man approached her and asked:

Irish Guy: Now Victoria, how are you feeling after watching Mariah?

Victoria: (nodding her head, arms crossed) GOOD.

Irish Guy: Victoria, I have to admit, I LOVE your confidence!

Victoria then proceeded to watch the Irish Dancer she was paired with do her little dance-- then it was time for them to do it together. I have to stop here and say that I probably would have paid close to $500 for a video of the look on Victoria’s face as she danced. For the first little bit it looked like she was holding her breath. Her lips were pursed and her eyes were wild and bright. Her arms were straight down at her sides (which is how the Irish do it) and her hands were in tight fists. Sure enough, she hopped and clogged and even finished the segment with her arms flung out wide, just as the Dancer beside her. The crowd erupted with cheers and catcalls-- amazed that she actually delivered on her promise that she could, in fact, Irish dance.

They then proceeded to one other little boy, who said that after watching the first two, he was feeling quite bad. He did his little number, which was the best comic relief of the night, and afterwards, they moved the 3 volunteers and the 3 dancers to the front of the stage under the lights to do one grand finale together. Once again, I would have paid big money to provide you with a tape showing Victoria up there doing her thing. As she finished, one of Victoria’s friends turned to me and said “ Victoria did it! She did it 100%! I mean, she NAILED it! She looks just like those dancers!”. I thought to myself : This was worth every penny. What a memory to come and dance for her party and in front of her friends. How could I have orchestrated this any better?? She will remember this for a long time to come.

As we were driving home for cake and Ice Cream, I asked each girl what their favorite part of the night was. Victoria’s response?

THE

JOKES.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man that is awesome! She definitely has your confidence! I was thinking good for her! She took them off guard and delivered a performance! When I got to the end I almost fell off my chair at her response to the fav part of the night. The JOKES?????? Not the dancing on stage? But the JOKES????? oh man to to Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you ever come by these simply providential moments Caroline I will never know but this really is one of the best. To tell you the truth...I am glad you didn't have pictures of her on stage...I love how I see it in my mind. The funniest part for me though was your and Mari worried about the shoe flying accross the room :) By the end of your post I was crying what a sweet wonderful magical memory for Victoria...she deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That night is in my top 10 favorite memories in my life. I loved that bethanys favorite part of the night was victoria nailing every move of her dance on stage and victorias was the cheesy jokes. classic. I am so glad i was there to witness the magic that happened on that night. It is moments like that that make life worth it.

    ReplyDelete