Monday, June 21, 2010

The Country Bunny

This summer I am attempting (with all my heart!) to train my daughters. I have found a book that encapsulates the household mindset I'm trying to incorporate. This Book is brilliant. Let's just get that out in the open. It was written in the 1930's by a man no less, and is about a woman bunny who, when she is small, dreams of being the Easter bunny. She is laughed at by the "Jack Rabbits" who know she's in for a life of raising "little bunnies", and sure enough, she shortly has 21 little bunnies to raise....
What does she do? She trains these 21 bunnies to run her household, so that when the Easter bunny dies, she is available for the job.
The second half of the story is equally as brilliant, and is quite spiritual, actually. She excels at her role, but soon expends all of her energy and realizes she can't do it alone. At that point the "Grandfather Bunny" comes to her and gives her Golden Shoes which increase her capacity to serve as the Easter Bunny. I love children's books with multiple layers of meaning, and this is definitely one of them....

This book is perfect for mothering purposes, because it teaches a concept I'm wanting my children to understand....it is this---I have a life besides keeping the house clean!

Last week our Goal was the "Up and Adam Routine". Although simple, this routine has saved me loads of time and frustration. Basically, what it means is that all the kids have to be dressed with beds made, prayers said and teeth brushed before they come downstairs for breakfast. Now even Meredith can do this 100% on her own. 

This week our Goal is "Happy Heart Helpers". This means that when I ask them to do a chore, their first response must be a happy one. Anyone arguing, moaning, comparing chores, rolling eyes, dragging feet, or trying avoidance tactics will be given another chore. We started this today. Everyone grasped the concept except for Holly. I gave her one chore and within 2 minutes, SHE HAD EARNED HERSELF 4 MORE CHORES. When she realized I was not kidding, and would not give in, and was in fact going to give her more chores if necessary, she adopted a HAPPY HEART and completed all 5 chores with a genuine good attitude. 

Current Score: Country Bunny: 1    Sassy Little Bunny: 0

Now....if I could only get ahold of those golden shoes.....

5 comments:

  1. What a fun book! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so inventive with your parenting, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again you are amazing! where do you get all the energy to do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good One! I'm going to add it to my "future parenting ideas" folder. Yes, I AM a dork and DO have one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite books. We had it when I was a kid, and when I saw a copy a few years ago, I bought it for myself. But now maybe I'll dig it out of the Easter box and keep it on the shelf for regular reading! Actually, you don't need Golden Shoes, you just need 17 more kids! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete