This week I have been pondering the story of Deborah, found in Judges Ch. 4-5. She was the "judge of Israel" (a.k.a national leader-spiritually and secularly), a prophetess, and a poet. It's criminal that we don't get the backstory on her. I would love to read an account of how she came to her power-- how this woman born into a highly patriarchal society managed to rise to the highest position in the land. Along these lines, I have 2 thoughts:
1.) The men had screwed things up. Sound familiar? If not, click here. In Time magazine last week the cover story told of 3 women in top positions who are now cleaning up the mess of Wall Street. Timothy Gietner, when asked how they would do, said "We men set the bar pretty low. Look what we've done with it!". One of the women said that if she ever wrote an autobiography, it would be entitled "The Audacity of this Woman". This was the comment she received most often (especially pre-2008) as she worked to limit and reform the abuses of Wall Street. I'm sure Deborah had the same comment thrown at her in the beginning...
2. Deborah came to recognize the power of her God-given role as a Mother of Israel. Deborah is credited with writing the fifth chapter of Judges, which is a poem praising God and giving us additional insight to her life. The seventh verse provides another key to her success. She says here that the Israelites continued to be taken by their enemies until "I Deborah arose, that I arose a Mother in Israel". Here is a woman from the tribe of Ephraim who did marvelous things in her life with because of her faith in God, and also because she believed in her power as a Mother in Israel. She is much like us. I find strength in her story--I wish there were more of her! Perhaps we are the ones to take up the torch. I find myself pondering her statement as I plan the summer with my children. How would a Mother of Israel approach these 104 days? Around a pool? Watching endless TV? Would she begin without some sort of planning and prayer? Probably not. As the school year winds down, what thought processes are going into your summer plans? Are they amplified by the knowledge that you are a powerful and insightful Mother in Israel?
Thoughts? Plans? Anyone out there?


I am here! (I am reading!)and wow once again pondering the insights you have posted. Yeah, I am planning an exodus to some church history sites. I want it to be a spiritual experience for my kids especially with Isaac turning 8 and being baptized soon. I must admit and I am not as strong with my preparation. I would like the kids to have knowledge and understanding of the places we want to see. I guess I am doing ok because I am doing what I can to save money to make the trip possible and gathering materials to learn from. I guess at times I get lazy at execution of the learning portion.
ReplyDeleteHey, I loved this post. I had read this before gospel doctrine and really wondered, we know the church doesn't change, that it is established the same way so why don't we see women in a position like Deborah was in then, now? I asked this question in Sunday School and I basically got crickets as my response. I just got the new book by Camilla Fronk about women in the Old Testament and it is so good. I am even more impressed by Deborah now. You should check it out. I miss our great discussions. You've always been so full of amazing ideas and insight. I don't always post, but you always inspire me.
ReplyDelete