Monday, February 22, 2010

Finally! A Bedtime Routine that Works!!

This January, Aaron and I decided to start something new at bedtime. We were tired of the marathon of bedtime rounds between children and wanted to create a more peaceful environment at night. We also wanted more one-on-one time that was scheduled, so that each child got a concrete amount of time with each parent. Under these circumstances, our parenting New Year's Resolution was born.

Aaron and I came up with the following schedule:
Mom: Sunday--Victoria. Monday--Holly. Tuesday--Abigail. Thursday--Meredith
Dad: Sunday--Abigail. Monday--Meredith. Tuesday--Victoria. Thursday--Holly

What has worked:




1. The expectations have been set up so that both parent and child know that they have 30 mins together, and the children plan their time accordingly (and with much anticipation!).

2. The expectations of the children are such that when it's not their night, they don't expect much more than a simple tuck in. There are no hurt feelings, crying, and creative manipulation techniques because they know it's not "their night". This makes the process of bedtime MUCH more enjoyable.
3. We do these nights 4 days a week, not 7 because we know that our schedules would never work to do all seven. Instead, the kids know that if we miss their night for one reason or another, the make-up days are on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. That way, the kids are never really let down if something comes up.


Preferred Activities: (Half of the time is always spent reading a book of their choice--the other half is entirely up to them)
---Victoria--acrylic painting, sewing, drawing, talking in bed
---Holly--computer time, board games, card games, projects
---Abigail--drawing, coloring, ISpy books, sticker making projects
---Meredith--books, barbies, dolls, puzzles
Victoria handed me this card last week detailing our her schedule for our "night" together..if you're wondering about the weird squiggles, this note was apparently from one of her many watercolor scratch papers--she is quite the painter!

Result:
As a parent, I can't overstate how wonderful it is to lay in bed with a child and talk, or sit at a desk and paint and know that I have 30 mins of uninterrupted time. It's just so much more enjoyable than scurrying from room to room with multiple kids vying for my attention. I feel like I'm experiencing the part of parenthood that I've been craving for awhile now--less chaos and more intentional parenting. It's truly been the best parenting decision we've made in a long time.

What are some of your parenting successes?? How do you carve out more quality time with your kids?

5 comments:

  1. what a great idea co- everyone feels loved and no stress for you! I'll have to remember that when my kids are fighting us at bedtime. mlc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy every minute of it! I miss my babies so much some times! But grandchildren are soooo much fun as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have started this idea here at my house. When I talked to the kids about it it was like they had won a ticket to Disney land. (It made me feel all warm and fuzzy) The kids choose lots to see who would go first and there was some upset feelings because Isaac always wants to be first. There was some minor decention among the ranks when Haley and I started our 30 min special time together. Isaac kept interrupting but finally he stayed in his room and played quietly. Haley wanted to do manicures so thats what we did for 30 mins. Isaac already has his list made up he wants to paint, play bacquegones, and Tickle backs on his list he wrote thank you! and I LOVE YOU!! (just like that) I again got all warm and fuzzy inside. HE said he may want to change his list a little because he wants to get at least 20 mins of back tickling. I am praying that this works. I have been asking Heavenly Father to help me become closer to my kids and this just really fit for me. Although I am alone at night I am still making it work and on the weekends each older child will have time with their dad and me. So thank you so much for sharing your Fabulous idea! It was truly an answer to prayers. Now I need to ask Heavenly Father to help me keep it up. By the way Haley has already started to make up her list for what she wants to do next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you blogged! I am so glad. We can keep in touch this way. I love this idea. So glad we have smart parents like you who give us good ideas. Love your daughter's new bedroom, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stealing this one! We have "special day" on the date of each child's birthday (Carden gets the 28th of every month; Seth gets the 14th of every month, etc.). On their special day they get to choose one 30-minute activity with me or Tyler. Usually we go out for a treat or Tyler likes to take them out for breakfast before school. As we drive around they are always looking for the next place they want to try on their day.

    ReplyDelete