Wednesday, May 20, 2009

This Little Piggy Played Softball....





Well...although it has been several weeks since Aaron's accident, I wanted to post this for posterity sake (and all those of you who have been asking for pictures!).

Aaron loves playing softball. Each year he sponsors a team that is made up of guys from both wards in Myrtle beach. He really wanted to play the week we were getting ready to move--the same week all the remodeling was going on. Normally it would have been impossible, but because the game was scheduled at 9:45pm it gave him time to get stuff done and still get there. I was in the middle of packing boxes when Aaron called at 11:10pm to say he was being driven to the ER because his face had been "CRUSHED". He was playing in the pitcher position and someone hit a ball that bounced up and hit him squarely in the face. He told me he knew that his nose was broken because of the noise it made, and because he could feel the bone moving when he touched it. He also said that just that morning he had a feeling that if he went to the game tonight, that he would get his face crushed in. He decided it was just a stray thought and dismissed it. (WHAT??)

SOoooo....I called Christina to come watch my kids (she is amazing) and I headed to the ER. We ended up spending most of the night there getting CSANs, 13 stitches and an IV to ward off infection. We came home around 4:30am and Aaron hobbled over to the couch (he had to sleep sitting up for the next week). I was then up at 5:55 getting the kids ready for the bus, and began the mad packing and cleaning marathon that was to be the next two weeks. Aaron had several days of heavy swelling (I began calling him my little porky pig after his eyes almost swelled shut and his nose was gigantic!) At this point, we were doing the big move in just three days. Of course, Aaron's accident complicated things, since he now could not lift a thing!!

Turns out we survived the weekend (thanks to all who helped!), but Aaron had to go to the plastic surgeon on Monday for a "procedure." This involved 11 shots up the nose, a small metal mallet, and some long metal sticks. Aaron said his nose hurt more after the doctor reset it than it did when it was broken to begin with! The Dr. then put a cast on his nose (sorry for no pictures-my camera ended up in a random box and I couldn't find it for awhile!) and he had another few days recovering...

Aaron is much better now--he will always have the two scars, but his nose does have a bridge now (the ball didn't make his nose crooked as much as it smashed it in, flattening the bridge). We are blessed it wasn't worse!

Lesson:

Aaron: When the spirit tells you your face will be crushed in if you do something--it's probably good to be on the safe side and listen.

Caroline: When your husband decides to play a long softball season with games on Tuesday and Thursday, and you pray for a quick end to the season, make sure to be specific as to just how you want that prayer answered.


5 comments:

  1. Caro,
    It gives me pain just looking at those pictures. Hope he is recovering well! What a way to learn a lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, what a way to learn a lesson for both of you. Be careful what you pray for and listen to those little promptings. I was so glad I could help (I don't know about amazing though) Poor guy those pics are, well... great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh crap! these pictures make me wish I had documented the dog bite! it is so interesting to be able to look back at something as tramatic as this! poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, the lengths some people will go to to avoid moving...

    Ouch, ouch, ouch. Hope it's a quick recovery. So sorry Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Aaron! I'm sure he took it like a man. Good thing he has 5 girls to take care of him. I don't feel as bad for him knowing that! jk love ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete