Thursday, November 6, 2008

All Hail to The Dramatized Book of Mormon Series! All Hail to Ebay!



Two years ago, I bought this 16 set series on Ebay, since it it not published anymore. I remembered many hours on Sunday afternoons, listening to these books on tape on the peach chenille couch in the Library of our house. I wanted my kids to have the same experience, (not of the legendary peach couch, which has now sadly, passed on, but of the books).
After buying the books, they have been listened to off and on, but I recently recommitted myself to promoting them in our home.
Victoria had some extra time last night and decided to listen to the last of the series--book number 16. I reminded her that all the Nephites died in this book, but this didn’t detour her from wanting to take it into her room upstairs. She came back down about an hour later and asked for another book. I looked at her red, puffy eyes and realized that she had been crying. I asked her why she had been crying, thinking that she was probably sad that the Nephites had all been killed. Instead she said--”Mom, I don’t know what happened. The words they were saying were so beautiful and true about God creating everyone and how we’d see Jesus again, that I just got such happy feelings inside. Tears just started dripping down my face”. Her comment was so genuine and innocent that it took me a second to respond. We then had a talk about the Holy Ghost and how those feelings meant that the Holy Ghost was with her. It was as though a light bulb had gone off in her spirit. The “Aha” spiritual moment had occurred.

We then laid on the bed together and she opened up more about how after she listened to Moroni talking about the “sign” she could get if she read the Book of Mormon and desired to know the truth, she read 3 more pages then knelt down and said a prayer asking God to help her know. (Oh how I could have been a fly on the wall!). It was wonderful to talk her through the experience and show her that those feelings were the sign that the Holy Ghost was confirming to her the truth of the book of mormon. She has been reading the scriptures by herself nightly for a few months now, so I know the confirmation wasn’t just because of a “one night stint” but a concerted effort on her part to read and learn of God’s word.

After our talk, I had Aaron come in, and we all laid on the bed as she recounted the story to us. As a parent, are there better moments than that? It’s sweetness was palpable. Reflecting back, I remember the instant she said "He said I could have a sign". The immediate thought that came to me was "WOW--this stuff isn't just for scripted church movies." It is a REAL formula you can count on, no matter your age. I'm grateful that as a parent, I can rediscover the beauty of the gospel all over again through my children's eyes.

I wish you all could have listened to the wonder in her voice.....indescribable.
What a priceless gift God gave me by sending down such a pure spirit. She has been a joy to raise.





Update: The next night, as Victoria and I were alone in the house, she turned to me and said:
Victoria: “I just can’t believe it! The Holy Spirit was with me! I mean, I’m pretty young for that to happen.” (how cute is that, I mean, really)

Mom: ”Victoria--your Dad and I and your primary teachers have often commented at how spiritually intelligent you are. Having the Holy Ghost with you doesn’t surprise me at all”.

Victoria: (in the cutest and most grown up voice) “But Mom, I thought you were just saying that to make me feel good. You know how parents sometimes say things to their kids just to make them feel good--I thought you were doing that!”.

I assured her that I NEVERRRR did that to her, and that if I said she was good at something, that meant that she really WAS good at it.
.......And I was privately stunned that she was so perceptive. I guess she IS growing up.

4 comments:

  1. so cute. I get goosebumps just reading about it. Victoria really always has had such a sweet kind spirit and is very sensitive to things. She will love reading about this one day later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. those books look awesome by the way! she is really following in the footsteps of her amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great story. And I'm so jealous! We grew up with those books, and we're all fighting for who will get them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline--I love this story! I love the gift of the gospel through the eyes of children. It is so pure and real. We had a similar experience that I posted about with Hannah back in April. (http://johnandannieb.blogspot.com/2008/04/swollen-heart.html)
    It was such an amazing moment to teach them about the Spirit. I really don't think anything is more important then helping a child recognize the Spirit and then rely on it through decisions in life. What a fabulous mother and daughter!!
    I need to get me those books!

    ReplyDelete