Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Law of Love. Part One.




In August, I made a surprising discovery. It came when someone asked me the question: "What brings you joy as a mother?". As I thought about it--honestly, in my heart, thought about it, I realized that the list was rather short. This revelation struck home. It caused me do some deep reflection, and to desire to find more joy in my role as a mother. I went to the Lord for help. The path He guided me to was one I would have never come to on my own. The following explains some of the truths I've learned along the way.....

I have come to understand that the Law of Love (which I believe is the Law of the Gospel) is the MOST important LAW in the universe. It is at the center of everything we do. Interestingly enough, it is also at the very center of the temple. In truth, the Law of Love is the only law which will be kept in the highest heavens--because all other laws are naturally kept when the Law of Love is applied.
It is my current understanding that the Law of Love entails loving God with all of your heart, might mind and strength, and loving your neighbor AS yourself. This does not mean to make yourself a doormat in the pursuit of loving your neighbor, but to come to place where your actions, attitudes and beliefs are loving to both yourself and to others. 
Unfortunately, because we have heard of this commandment all of our lives, it's plainness often serves to inoculate us from a complete understanding of its absolute power. Since all God's laws are operational by very nature, this means they function EVERY time. God's law are not like the speeding limit, which can be broken without consequences. The Law of Love is like the Law of Gravity. Step off a 10 story building and you will be sorry. Every time. When a Law of God is broken, there are always negative consequences, and when we keep a law, we are always receiving the positive benefits. These consequences may not be sensed on a physical level, but our spirit bodies are always subject to their effects. 
In my own life, I have been humbled as I've asked the Lord to show me areas in my life where I am unloving. What I have come to realize is that the world's definition of what is loving and God's definition of what is loving can be very different.  Consequently, my definition of what it means to be a loving mom, may not be God's definition of what a loving mother is, since my definition is also based on what the society I live in feels is loving. 
One key I have used to help guide me in understanding God's definition of love is the concept of free will. We always feel negative effects when we do something that is against our free will--even if that something is good.  In Moroni 7 we learn that unless we do things willingly, it will not be for our profit. This means, if spend our days doing lots of things we "have" to do, instead of "want" to do, not only are we not being loving, we are also not being profited by the Lord. The Lord does not want us to feel "compelled" in any way to live the Law of Love. Hence, we are  only truly living it when each action is a "gift" rather than an a response to an obligation or expectation placed upon us from a loved one, our society, or ourselves. 
In my journey to find more joy in motherhood, the Lord has taught me that if my days are filled with "have to"s, then there is NO WAY I will feel joy, because I am not living the Law of Love and I am breaking the Law of Free Will. As I go about my day, I have begun to ask myself "Am I giving this (time, service, task etc) as a Gift of Love, or just because I "should" do it, or "need to" do it? The answers to these questions, and the internal dialogue which has come from them has led to surprising places. It has confronted false beliefs. It has led me to my knees. And it has changed my life in significant and wonderful ways. 

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. So profound. Thank you so much for sharing this. I think it was exactly what I needed right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read/hear more!!! You have such a wonderful way of teaching and sharing deep truths and inspiring many of us to delve deeper into our own hearts as well.

    ReplyDelete